Now Hiring Police Officers and Telecommunicators!
Uncertified Patrolman: $26.24 per hour.
Uncertified Telecommunicator: $22.81 per hour.
Lateral Transfers/Certified Patrolman: $29.52 – $37.17 per hour based on years of service
Lateral Transfers/Certified Telecommunicator: $25.66 – $30.79 per hour based on years of service
Email application to Policeapps@cityofcarlsbadnm.com
Police Officer Test Dates – Applicants will complete a fitness exam and written exam.
– April 24, 2023 – Testing will begin promptly at 0815 hours at the Carlsbad Police Department, 602 W. Mermod St, Carlsbad, NM 88220. Bring your driver’s license, social security card, wear workout attire, and bring something to hydrate with. Do not let this opportunity pass you by. Please ensure that your email address is listed on your application as you will receive correspondence required for testing. Study Resources are available at: https://www.applytoserve.com/study/ Please be sure to show up in workout attire as dependent on the weather we may start with the physical assessment. **
– May 12-14, 2023 – The Carlsbad Police Department Recruiters will be at the Cielo Vista Mall located at 8401 Gateway Blvd W, El Paso, TX 79925 on Friday, May 12th through Saturday, May 13th. We will have a recruiting table set up in the main forum entrance area across from Dillard’s so please come see us or send anyone you know that is interested to come see us. We will be conducting our fitness and written exam portion of our testing process while we are in El Paso on the morning of May 13th and the 14th. Testing will begin promptly at 0815 hours at the Courtyard Marriott at 6610 International Dr, El Paso, TX 79925. Do not let this opportunity pass you by. Please ensure that your email address is listed on your application as you will receive correspondence required for testing. Study Resources are available at: https://www.applytoserve.com/study/ Please be sure to show up in workout attire as dependent on the weather we may start with the physical assessment. **
1. Typing Test
2. Telecommunicator Examination
3. Oral Interview
– The second phase in the selection process will involve a written, entrance level Telecommunicator examination. The written examination will be a job specific test and will last approximately three (3) hours. Pencils and scratch paper will be provided. The test dates will soon be announced and will be conducted at the Carlsbad Public Library, 101 S. Halagueno. The minimum passing score for this phase is a score of 70. Those applicants completing the written test phase with a passing score will be eligible for the oral interview.
1. Current driver’s license with photo.
2. Social Security card.
Attendance and participation in each testing phase is mandatory for continued consideration for the position of Telecommunicator. Failure to attend any phase or failure to bring the required documentation will be considered a withdrawal of your application and your application will not be considered further for this position.**
Sergeant Joshua Calder email@example.com 575.885.2111 ext. 2277
Lieutenant Adrian Rivera firstname.lastname@example.org 575.885.2111 ext. 2236
Captain Jessie Rodriguez email@example.com 575.885.2111 ext. 2221
Minimum Requirements (Police Officer)
o Be a minimum of 21 years of age
o Be a citizen of the United States
o Hold a high school diploma or the equivalent
o Hold a valid driver’s license
o Have not been convicted of, pled guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge. Arrests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
o Have not been convicted of, pled guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to a violation of any federal or state law or local ordinance relating to aggravated assault, theft or driving while intoxicated, controlled substances or other crime involving moral turpitude, within the three year period immediately preceding his application. Arrests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
o Have not been discharged under dishonorable conditions from any of the armed forces of the United States
Selection Process (Police Officer)
o Written Exam-Applicants must score a 70% or better
o Study guides can be purchased at the following Police Officer Selection Test
o Successfully complete the New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy Fitness Entrance Standards. See fitness standards here
o Sit-ups-a minimum of 27 repetitions in one minute
o Push-ups-a minimum of 15 repetitions in one minute
o 1.5 mile run in 15:14 (minutes:seconds) or less
o 300 meter sprint in 71 seconds or less
o Personal History Statement
o Oral Board Interview
o Background Investigation
o Psychological Evaluation
o Medical Examination and Drug Screening
Wages2022 Wage Scale
o Hiring Incentive of $5,000 in which they will receive $3,500 up front immediately upon start date then they will receive the remaining $1,500 after the completion of their first year.
o Sick Leave-Employees accrue 8 hours of sick leave per month
o Paid Holidays-Employees receive 11 paid holidays per year
o Retirement-Public Employees’ Retirement Association (PERA)-Police Officers can retire once they have achieved 25-years of service. Civilian employees can retire once they have achieved 30-years of service
o Insurance- The City of Carlsbad pays 75% of the employee’s health insurance benefit
o Pay Incentives
Associates Degree $1.00 per hour
Bachelor’s Degree $2.00 per hour
Master’s Degree $3.00 per hour
o Bi-lingual Employees and Employees fluent in sign-language shall receive $0.60 per hour
o Specialty Pay-Employees shall receive $0.60 per hour for the following specialties with a cap of $2.40 per hour:
SRT Members Field Training Officers
Academy Certified Instructors Arson Investigators
Certified Hostage Negotiators Communication Training Officers
Polygraph Operator Key Operator
Traffic Crash Reconstructionist Physical Fitness Instructor
Euthanasia Technician Crimes Against Children (ICAC)
Cruelty Investigator Armorer
Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) Child Safety Technician
Certified Crime Scene Investigator TAC Officer
o Equipment Allowance
o $1,500 to new certified officers upon completion of their probationary period for the purchase of firearms, leather, handcuffs and other equipment and accessories.
o $1,500 to officers hired as lateral transfers upon completion of their training period for the purchase of firearms, leather, handcuffs and other equipment and accessories.
o Uniforms are provided by the Department and employees will receive the following wages for uniform upkeep and equipment replacement.