This has been a very important week for the future of our college. Throughout the week, members of the Higher Learning Commission have been in Carlsbad on a fact-finding visit related to the change of control from New Mexico State University-Carlsbad to Southeast New Mexico College. The group, which included a dean from Ambrose University in Iowa, a Vice Chancellor from Arkansas State University and a Residential Faculty member from Mesa Community College, met with faculty and staff, as well as members of the community. Their assignment is to put together a report for the full HLC.
We enjoyed getting to visit with them about the community-wide effort to have our college go independent. It seemed like they had a very good visit and we are confident they saw, first hand, how bright the future is for Southeast New Mexico College in Carlsbad.
Reminder: Anyone who wants to vote in the November 2 election needs to register through the Eddy County Bureau of Elections by Oct. 5. Absentee voting also begins that day, with the last day to mail out ballots being on Oct. 29. For more information, please contact the Bureau of Elections at (575) 885-3383.
Here are some updates in terms of what is going on this weekend:
- This will be our last weekend to have the Carlsbad Water Park open this year. The park will be open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Thanks for helping us have a great summer.
- DJ Malory Anaya will be holding karaoke night at our summer concert series from 7-9 p.m. Saturday at the Water Park Gazebo.
- The Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce’s Age Friendly Communities Council is hosting a “COVID-19 The Aftermath” discussion beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Leo Sweet Center.
- Riverblitz Round 2 will be from 7 a.m. until 11 a.m. Saturday. Meet at the Riverwalk Recreation Center. Supplies will be provided. Household Hazardous Waste Day will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Carlsbad Beach Parking Lot.
- The Carlsbad Museum will be open on Saturday. This will be the last weekend to see the Icons & Symbols of the Borderland exhibit.
Finally, Milton’s Brewing is celebrating its fifth anniversary on Saturday with a celebration from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Milton’s has been a great addition to our downtown area and has brought a lot of energy to Carlsbad’s MainStreet.
A young Carlsbad resident named Isaac finished about 35th out of 500 competitors in the USA Mullet Championships. This is a pretty good finish and thank you to everyone who helped by voting for Isaac.
Carlsbad Mayor Dale Janway