What a great evening!
Trevor Rogers struck out six batters in his opening performance in the Major Leagues Tuesday night, and the Miami Marlins went on to shut out the Mets in both games of their doubleheader. He pitched four innings and gave up no runs.
You couldn’t have asked for a better first outing, and we know that the Miami Marlins can expect a lot more from the Carlsbad High School standout. He also did a great job in his interview after the game and talked about playing baseball since he was five and getting to represent New Mexico. It was nice to have some positive news.
In a press release sent Wednesday morning, New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham announced that several changes will be made to the newest emergency public health order, which will go into effect on Aug. 29. A press conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. Thursday to discuss these changes. The state says these changes are being made to the health order because the number of daily COVID-19 case counts and hospitalizations have dropped from earlier in the summer.
According to the press release, food and drink establishments, including breweries and wineries, may begin providing indoor dining service at 25 percent of maximum occupancy beginning Saturday, in accordance with COVID-safe practices. They may also continue to provide outdoor dining, carryout and delivery services.
Additionally, according to the release, churches and houses of worship have had their allowed maximum occupancy for indoor seating increased from 25 to 40 percent. This new emergency public health order will be effective through at least mid-September.
We are cautiously optimistic about this week’s development. The press release also says these are just some of the changes being made, so we are hoping for no negative surprises on Thursday. Additionally, on Wednesday afternoon, the State Supreme Court listened to oral arguments in the lawsuit filed about restaurant closure. A lot could change over the next few days, but we are hoping and praying for developments that will allow members of our community to safely get back to work.
This week’s Epidemiologic and Modeling report shows a lot of good news. COVID-19 hospitalizations, deaths and case counts are decreasing across the state. According to this data, while Southeast New Mexico is currently higher than other state regions in the number of new cases per day per 100,000 people, we have dropped significantly over the past few weeks on this data point as well. Our area’s growth rate for cases is also decreasing, according to the report.
This week seems to be off to a good start, and let’s hope that trend continues.
Carlsbad Mayor Dale Janway